Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Stolen by Kelley Armstrong

Title: Stolen
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publication Date: 2002
Length: 557 pages

Note: This book is the second in the series and so probably contains some spoilers from the first book, Bitten. You have been warned!

Stolen is the second book in the Women of the Otherworld series, and, like the first one, is narrated by Elena, the only known female werewolf. She has grown to accept her werewolf nature, and her love for Clay, and now lives with the Pack. (Yay!) Being back on duty as the werewolf responsible for keeping an eye on mutts and other risks of exposure, she meets up with a woman who claims to have proof of the existence of werewolves. Before she knows it, Elena has learned the hard way that werewolves aren't the only supernatural creatures around: witches, vampires, and half-demons all exist, and all their races are under attack from what seems to be a disturbing scientific experiment backed by military-type guards.

I waited too long after reading this book to write the review, so I'm already having trouble telling you exactly what I liked about it, but seriously, this book is SO GOOD. If you liked the first book, you will like the second book, because it shares the same narrator, most of the same characters, and of course Kelley Armstrong's flawless writing.

Think season 4 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Actually, Elena even makes a reference to that, which made me squee with inter-series joy. Supernatural beings are being kidnapped and studied in an environment I found very disturbing for its combination of friendly "we want you to be comfortable while you're our guest" type behaviour and total disregard for the basic rights of the people imprisoned there. There's lots of wondering who can be trusted, and several delightfully shocking twists (though I totally figured one out before Elena; haha I'm so smart!).

Some of the new characters annoyed me, especially Paige, though she grew on me after a while. The characters that I already knew from the first book were just as awesome. Clay is still just as sexy, even though he's not my type at all, and I don't even usually like Southern accents. (Side note: I think it's so funny how everyone lists Clay in lists of sexy alpha males, when Clay is quite literally not the alpha male; he's a beta male. But maybe I'm thinking too literally. :P ) I also love Jeremy, and I really wish he had bigger roles; maybe in a later book!

5 stars, and I'm pretty sure Kelley Armstrong could publish her shopping lists and I would love them.

This book counts towards the Read Your OWN Library! Challenge (hosted by The Beauty of Eclecticism) for February (it took me awhile to get around to reviewing!). For March, my book for the challenge will be John Dies at the End by David Wong. This book also counts for the Mount TBR Reading Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't started this series but I did read one of her YA series. Maybe I'll start this one for the upcoming readathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your reviews of that other series. I still have to pick those up. If it's anything like Women of the Otherworld I'm sure I'll love it!

    ReplyDelete