Thursday, May 10, 2012

Charmed Season 9 Volume 1 by Paul Ruditis

Title: Charmed Season 9 Volume 1
Author: Paul Ruditis
Publication Date: February 15, 2011
Length: 144 pages

Warning: This is a review of a graphic novel that takes place after the end of the Charmed television series, so it will definitely contain spoilers from the show!

The Charmed Season 9 comics take place shortly after the end of season 8. I'm not sure exactly how long after... at one point near the beginning it says that their lives have been demon-free for a year and a half, and I would think they'd be demon-free pretty much from the end of the show, but Wyatt and Chris are definitely a good 6 or 7 years older than the babies they were in season 8! Anywho, it's a while after.

This book is the perfect continuation of the series. It made me feel like I was right back watching the show. And I love seeing more of the kids that the Charmed ones have, that you catch a glimpse of at the end of the last episode. I finally know their names! And in general just seeing more of all the characters I love is great (seriously, they dated so many losers, but I was SO HAPPY with the guys they all ended up with!).

I really love how this first story arc has something to do with the Source. It's hilarious, because how many times did they vanquish the Source in the show? Oh my goodness, so many times! And just like in the show, they're like "seriously? Didn't we vanquish him?".

My only complaint is the one I have with most graphic novels, and that's the art. Don't get me wrong, the art is nice, but once again, some of the characters look the same! Piper and Phoebe look nothing alike in the show, yet I had a hard time telling them apart in the comics. Same problem as with most of the Buffy comics. But props for not overdoing the cleavage, so the art still beats a lot of comics. :)

Definitely recommended for fans of the show! Oh, and you can totally still read it without having seen the show, because at the beginning there's this big Book of Shadows section that has information on a lot of characters, and summarises the major events of the show. So don't think you have to watch 8 seasons of tv just to read these graphic novels (though the show is awesome, so you totally should)!

No comments:

Post a Comment