Thursday, August 23, 2012

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

Title: What I Didn't Say
Author: Keary Taylor
Publication Date: May 11, 2012
Length: 307 pages

Jake has never worked up the nerve to tell Sam that he loves her, at least until he's drunk at a party, and his friends convince him to go and finally tell her how he feels. Unfortunately, the friend driving the car is also drunk, and they soon find themselves rolling off a cliff. Jake ends up with a t-post through his throat, which rips out his vocal chords. Now he has to deal with the major life change of becoming mute, and the fact that he'll never be able to "say" what he wanted to say to Sam. Meanwhile, Sam's dealing with some serious crap of her own, but they could each be exactly what the other needs to get through this year.

This book had some serious tears welling up in my eyes. It's so sweet and romantic, which I don't always like, but in this case it was done just right. The main characters are both really likable. While Jake occasionally gets a little whiny, I can't really blame him, given the circumstances, and it never reaches the point where it's annoying. And the way feelings develop between Jake and Sam is so perfect. They've already known each other for years at the start of the book, so there's no instalove going on. I feel like it was really realistic, because they're both going through hard times, and they support each other, but they're not unrealistically selfless, as characters can so often be. They felt real to me.

There were enough little twists and turns in the plot to keep it interesting for me, which I appreciate, since straight up romance isn't generally my thing. Overall, it's a good YA read. Very sweet.

4 stars.

Full disclosure: Free e-book copy received from the publisher through NetGalley.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds sad and emotional. I actually try to avoid books like this because I just can't take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely emotional, and there are sad parts, but I didn't find it depressing or anything. There were enough gooey romantic parts to balance it out. :) Mostly my crying was the good kind, like when I'm watching a chick flick, lol.

      Delete